National selector Luke Wright has revealed the reason why Harry Brook was taken into the World Cup squad instead of Jason Roy. Wright also said that Roy can still be with the squad as a reserve for one of the openers.
Brook was added into the side ahead of Roy (Courtesy: Reuters)
Luke Wright has explained the reason why England decided to go with Harry Brook instead of Jason Roy when they announced their World Cup squad on Sunday, September 17.
The decision to drop Roy was made after he failed to participate in any of the four recent one-day internationals against New Zealand due to recurring back spasms. Despite his impressive record in the Indian Premier League, where he played 23 matches and scored 627 runs, his physical condition led to his exclusion from the team.
Another reason was Dawid Malan's stunning run of form as an opener after he was adjudged the Player Of The Series against New Zealand.
The person chosen to replace Roy is Harry Brook. Brook, despite averaging just 12.33 in three innings across the recent series against New Zealand, was drafted into the squad. The decision to include Brook was not solely based on creating space for his generational talent but was also influenced by Roy's inability to play against New Zealand due to his back issues.
Brook had initially not been included in the World Cup squad announced last month. However, he was added to the squad for the New Zealand series. Despite failing to make a significant impact with just 37 runs in three innings, the selectors decided that Brook was a safer bet given Roy's injury problems.
As quoted by the Evening Standard, Wright opened up on why Brook was chosen ahead of Roy. The national selector said that the youngster gives them cover from No.1 to No.6 while Roy can only provide depth when it comes to the top spot.
“We realised things had slightly changed and Dawid would be the one opening the batting with Jonny in the World Cup. Then really it was a case of the spare batter and what did that look like? From Jason’s point of view, he probably only covers us for an opener. Harry gives us that cover from No1 to No6,” said Wright.
Wright, however, said that Roy still has a chance to be with the squad as a cover for one of the openers and travel as a reserve.
“As reserve batter at top of the order, we’ve made it very clear that we still see him as the man to do that,” Wright added. “We’ve spoken to him about that and he has time to reflect over the next few days. It is obviously not an easy pill to swallow.
“The earlier response was that he’s still available for England. Now unless that’s changed, at the moment that’s how we see it. So for a top order reserve batter then Jason is going to be our man,” said Wright.
Sep 18, 2023